The shoulder joint is one of the most flexible joints of the human organism. When we comb hair, play active games, take any item, or execute any outdoor activity, we make differentiated motions regulated by the shoulder motor skills. The shoulder joint keeps a delicate balance comprising motor functions and shoulder-arm energy transmission.
So, this part of your body as a running wheelhorse in your organism is frequently affected by various injuries. Almost every person feels pain in the shoulder blade. The reason is mostly a complex and individual constitution of the shoulders.
The shoulder-related pain could cover all tissues because body posture, routines, age, patient history, metabolism, and distinct defects of anatomical elements of the shoulder joints interact with each other. Excessive procrastination or fairs beyond the doctor examination could transform the temporary painful reactions into chronic troubles. The researching outcomes stress that 10 to 20% of the observed painful cases finish with surgical procedures. To prevent the negative consequences, everyone should adhere to the proper living rules and entrust the diagnosis-setting process to the qualified neurologist. The experienced doctor could often detect the major reason provoking the shoulder blade pain in a wide range of respective injuries.
Shoulder Blade Pain: when should you ask for medical aid?
Shoulder pain is quite a frequent occurrence in modern society. If you feel acute pain, you may use the available convenient communication tools to receive the neurologist’s professional advice regarding the possible ways for pain reduction by yourself. However, if the pain lasts for more than two weeks, you need to arrange a visit to see a doctor at once.
Such detail has a straightforward explanation. As a rule, the two-week mild pain disappears unexpectedly; simple exercises and accessible analgesic medicine accumulate this process. Nevertheless, if the pain is increasing day-to-day and its duration exceeds the appropriate period, you must ask for help from the specialized clinic that performs the detailed examination.
To realize the exact need for the medical help, you may remember the following symptoms:
- severe and lancinating pain in the shoulder blades;
- shoulder redness and overwarming;
- limited excursion and numbness in arms and shoulders for a few days;
- sudden asthenia and lack of energy in the shoulder joints;
- the lasting pain does not cease for an extended period;
- the chronic shoulder pain and traumatic injuries;
- the preexisting fall on shoulders or arms which bring misery to the body and immobilize it;
- crepitus and cracking sounds in shoulder blades;
- visual change of the shoulder joint shape;
- the shoulder blade pain transmits its flashes into the neck or the arm;
- disordered perceptions in the shoulders related to numbness, tingling, and itch;
- acute below the right shoulder blade and under the left one and ribs, which complicates breathing abilities and cause retrosternal pain and shortness in breath resembling coronary thrombosis or breast pang syndromes;
- the temperature-accompanied pain.
Warning triggers for shoulder blade trauma
Shoulder-related painful reactions could occur under different preconditions, which summarize the following familiar reasons:
- inactive lifestyle;
- heavy burden on the joint apparatus due to weight-lifting, vibration, professional sport;
- bad body posture;
- affected trauma and surgeon operations on the upper joints;
- over 50 years old because the secular changes deteriorate the regeneration of the tissues, especially cartilages;
- infectious and autoimmune diseases;
- metabolic disorders;
- blood vessel gland disorders and sharp hormonal changes, e.g., pregnancy, climax;
- inherited predisposition for musculoskeletal disease.
These adverse factors are the reasons for the development of some pathologies that provoke chronic shoulder blade pain.
Chronic pain is deemed an intense discomfort lasting over six months. Its etymological trigger is related to parasynovitis of shoulder joints. This state means inflammation of the tissues around the shoulder. The medical theory can subdivide the diverse stages of the increasing painful reactions:
- tendonitis characteristic of inflammation and dystrophy tissues of the rotator cuff muscles;
- tenonitis of bicep muscles of arm;
- calcific tendinitis resulted from an accumulation of calcium hydroxyapatite crystals in the rotator cuff tissues;
- tendon tear;
- adhesive capsulitis or frozen shoulder syndrome.
Chronic sore pain occurs because of repeated microtrauma and tendonitis effects. Microtrauma is a result of hard sport exercises and work related to repetitive run of monotonous movements. In some cases, the pain stimulators are shoulder instability, arthrosis of shoulder blades, or acromioclavicular joints. Anyway, each painful perception requires an adequate assessment made by the neurological experts who have the relevant knowledge about the nature and consequences of such pain.
Medical tutorial for shoulder blade pain diagnosis and treatment
To determine the real reason provoking the painful perceptions of the patient, the qualified neurologist should apply the following tools:
- an interview is dedicated to detecting the nature and intensity of the pain, trauma circumstances, existence of the accompanying diseases, etc.;
- the doctor carries out an examination; They assess the scope of the possible movements by the joints, skin temperature and color in the injured areas, hydrops if any, physical inactivation, perception of tissues, muscle strength, and reflection quality in practice;
- X-ray analysis and computing tomography produce medical and tomographic images to assess the current state of bone tissues and cartilages partly. These diagnostic methods are perfect for confirming the symptoms of arthrosis, closed dislocations, bone fracture and cracks, and vertebral osteochondrosis;
- magnetic resonance tomography allows to observe the state of bones and soft tissues via digital X-cuts in reference planes;
- ultrasonic testing of the shoulder blade area is a significant method to detect the inflammation epicenters, fluid collection in the joint capsule, apostasies, and tumors;
- laboratory diagnostics reflects general blood test which provides information about inflammation or allergies;
- joint puncture is a procedure performed for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. This medical manipulation determine the nature of the changes in the joint oil and catch the infectious and rheumatological diseases of the upper joints;
- Electromyography is a diagnostic procedure to assess muscles, nerves, and cells responsible for motor control functions.
If necessary, the neurologists could prescribe the consultations of the other narrow specialized doctors to form the entire clinical picture and choose the right treatment plan.
What factors are distinguished from provoking chronic shoulder-like pain?The chronic pain is accumulated and long-lasted misery perceptions that could convoy the other disorders and normal organism functions. The key groups of factors are divided into external factors (traffic accidents, athletic training, inactive lifestyle, office work, or outdoor incidents) and internal factors provoked by the accompanying diseases like spinal cord injuries, tumors, etc. We prevent you from diagnosing any pain character by yourself. You rather entrust such obligations to the professional neurologists.
What are the chronic pain examples?The medical, scientific conclusion qualifies several types of chronic pain (somatic, visceral, neurological, nociceptive, etc.). The sources of the painful perceptions are based on physiological and psychological factors. The most hazardous types are those which are associated with neurological disorders. However, the incorrect treatment of the traumatic spinal or shoulder problems could lead to the same discomforts for the rest of the patient’s life. That is why we advise you to consult us before you decide to find a neurologist to solve your back problems.
What to do for effective rehabilitation upon chronic pain treatment?Clinical recovery covering the appropriate diagnosis techniques, treatment approaches, and medicine solutions is beneficial for rehabilitating any normal organism functions and abilities. However, to keep that process sustainable and effective, you need to change your routine hobbies and follow the healthy lifestyle principles. Our clinic is a team of professionals who consult you regarding any shoulder-concerned matters and healing practical recommendations to save your life and health.
What could relief methods be applied to eliminate chronic shoulder blade pain?The pain-suffered patients should draw attention to active exercises such as – yoga which helps to relax and to reach the muscle strength and flexibility, – pilates similar to the previous one, – physical therapy which allows improving the whole health conditions, – psychological constitution, which recovers the mental health and enriches inner powers, – and a combination of various ways. Nevertheless, they need to receive adequate medical feedback regarding the compliance of the desirable gymnastic training with the current health state.
Could I treat the chronic shoulder blade pain at all?The healing process could be complicated, but effective, if the patient applies for the medical aid in time and follows the doctor’s prescriptions. Anyway, our clinic could help you to overcome any neuros system disturbances.