The spinal cord injury is a kind of highly-risked trauma resulting in disordered functions and damaged anatomical constitution of the spinal column or cord, its great vessels, or roots of nerves. The clinic implications depend on the degree of damage severity. They could vary from transient paresis and perception disorders to paralysis, motor abnormalities, dysfunctions of pelvic organs, ingestion and ventilation, etc. All damages listed are hazardous for normal human living.
The shocking fact is that non-accidental spinal injuries are quite often observed among the interviewed patients. According to global statistical research, this kind of trauma is diagnosed in approximately 6.3% of the worldwide population. Moreover, such dark prospects will probably keep the tendencies due to low interest in healthy lifestyle activities and late inquiries of the patients for the appropriate medical aid.
The types of spine-related diseases are various and qualify as complex and mind cases indicating the diagnosis methods and the following medical recovery prescriptions. To detect the nature of the spinal traumas, neurological diagnosticians use particular equipment and methods such as radiography of the spine, myelography, brain MR, computer tomography, and lumbar puncture. Based on the respective medical examination conclusions, spinal cord injury recovery includes fragment reposition, immobilization, fixation of spinal bones, and brain decompression with subsequent restorative treatment.
Spinal cord injury symptoms
The pathologies occurring are related to mechanical, accidental, or physiological factors that comprise fractures of a vertebral body, spinal bands, damages of spinal bones, or its ligamentous apparatus. Spinal cord trauma is dangerous mechanical damage of the spinal column, complicated by accidental traumatism impacts of the spinal cord and its roots. A person could receive such type of trauma even under the effects of mild damages or simple traction.
The clinical picture of the spine-related injury relies upon the extent of the damages. It could be accompanied by a concussion, hematomyelia, or compression of the spinal cord. The heavy-treated cases are characteristic of their anatomical breaks.
The most famous signs of these specific injuries are:
- paresis and paralysis. They are classified as motor dysfunctions caused by the same reasons. The minor difference is that paresis is a semi-paralysis neurological syndrome that reflects the diminution of muscle strength due to affection of the CNS elements;
- failed conductivity of nerve impulse that seriously affects the functions of specific organs and body in general;
- systemic perception disturbances which make the everyday living conditions bothersome and hard;
- disorders of crucial functions of pelvic organs, which negatively affect motor activities and complicate urination and defecation processes;
- hypomyotonia and areflexia. They are a sort of neurological disorder that could lead to various diseases.
Anyway, ordinary people and even experienced primary care physicians are not able to set a correct diagnosis of neurological spinal cord dysfunctions. Only the narrowly specialized doctors like neurosurgeons could locate the injuries, having investigated the changes of motor and reflecting spheres.
Spinal cord injury causes
The most oft-repeated cases of spinal cord traumas are connected with:
- traffic accidents when drivers or passengers offends the road regulations or the safety rules, and
- falling incidents, which are quite familiar situations at industrial premises and construction sites and in other height-associated occupations.
The remaining traumatic cases result from abuse, sports exercises, extreme actions, and natural emergencies. According to the specific gender fact-findings, nearly 80% of the sufferers are young men with risky jobs or hobbies.
Elderly people suffering from a lack of bone-supported vitamins and minerals surrender to this disease’s effects not by any mild hit or fall. If the patient has bony rarefication and degenerative joint disease, the risk of spinal cord injury during low-speed accidental collisions will have increased because degenerative joints are positioned unsteadily, osteophyte wound spinal cord, and delicate bones are broken. In this context, core bone structures are damaged more harmfully.
Spinal cord trauma exists when dull physical strength damages spinal bones, joints, or intervertebral discs. The effects above, including spinal cord penetrating wounds like gunshot or knife ones, provoke injuries, compressions, and breakages of spinal cord tissues. They could also trigger damage of vessels that develop ischemia or hematomas and additional injuries, respectively. All types of trauma could provoke spinal cord swelling and subsequently lessen blood flows and oxygenation. From a medical point of view, spinal trauma is connected with numerous neurological factors, including a flux of neurotransmitters from damaged cells, inflammatory immunologic response with release of cytokines, and accumulation of free radicals and apoptosis.
Spinal cord injury recovery
The spinal cord trauma treatment is a long process lasting for a few weeks or years; this period depends on the size and severity of injuries sustained. The treatment of the complex cases allows recovery of perceptual and motor functions only partly.
Considering the severity of the damage, the treatment procedure could include the following milestones:
- primary examination to evaluate the general patient state;
- resuscitation measures dedicated to keeping the ventilation functions;
- application of special immobilization bandage for lung access to oxygen;
- general or local anesthesia;
- in case of spinal breaks and dislocations, surgical interferences to recover the correct anatomical structure of spinal column;
- medical therapy to rehabilitate functions of damaged tissues in a short period.
The applied methods could differ depending on the type of spinal cord trauma and personal features of the patient organism.
The treating doctors distinguish several methods to rehabilitate the patients with spinal cord trauma, including
- remedial gymnastics and massage. They facilitate internal regeneration processes and activate compensatory mechanisms allowed partly or wholly recover perceptive or motor functions;
- medicamentous therapy foresees the medicine stimulating the regeneration of nerve tissues and keeping the physiological functions of the patient organism functions;
- psychological aid is the essential rehabilitation step encouraging the patient to recover as soon as possible. It is crucial to create a suitable psychological environment for the treatment purposes involving relatives, friends, and entrusted people;
- ergotherapy contributes to improving the patient’s self-reliance. The method is aimed at eliminating the patient dependence on people around them via recovery of the self-servicing abilities;
- lifeway improvement and socio-environmental adaptation concerning the current health state of the patient. The treating doctor shall prescribe special diets, procedures to prevent chronic diseases, and psychological sessions.
Considering the current patient health conditions, post-trauma recovery could require applying all medical methods or just certain ones listed above.
What is spine trauma?
Spine trauma is a hazardous neurological disease that could drastically change the sufferer’s life for a temporary or permanent period. The severe high level of this trauma is a spinal cord injury caused by accidental situations.
What are the central spine trauma provoked reactions?
The central spine trauma symptoms are
– a sensation of pain in the area of injury;
– motion restrictions;
– sores, ecchymosis, and cutaneous swelling;
– numbness, pins, and needles in case of mild injuries of nerve fibres.
The spine trauma signs especially, in terms of spinal cord injury, could vary from minor motor dysfunctions to general paralysis, gastrointestinal disorders, etc.
The doctors of our clinic will always consult you about spinal cord injury and provide a wide range of medical services to minimize the adverse effects of this trauma on your organism and lifestyle in general.
What are the most common spine traumatic triggers?
Spine trauma could occur due to relatively routine needless tragedies like a fall from height, accidents, injuries during sports exercises, and so on. Elderly people could receive a mild spine injury under insignificant circumstances, e.g., a slight fall; this is caused by previous degenerative changes of the spinal column and its bones, including osteoporosis, tumors, etc.
Many types of spine sufferings classify as wounds and breaks, rhexis of joints, closed dislocations, and dislocations of the spinal bones.
How do neurologists qualify spinal traumas?
Some specialists divide the spinal traumas into two main groups
– uncomplicated or without specific injuries, and
– complicated or the injury detected.
However, the spinal cord injury could be reversible and irreversible.
Anyway, you never need to diagnose spinal trauma by yourself because it is a perilous decision. You should immediately apply to the specialized doctors working at our clinic to provide you with adequate aid.
What is a recovery prognosis for patients with spinal cord truncated?
Spinal cord trauma is a life-risk disease caused by mechanical or accidental effects and could remain for the whole living; this is connected with the fact that the spinal cord can not regenerate and concentrates a mass of nerve cells influencing the organism functionality. Post-trauma recovery is a long-term process that does not terminate upon the rehabilitation center release.
So, the prognosis for the recovery period depends on several conditions, in particular,
– severity and duration of damage,
– qualification of the treating neurologists and neurosurgeons,
– the overall physiological and emotional state of the patient wishing to return to their normal lifestyle.
What are positive reactions of the rehabilitation process for the specific trauma patients?
The recovery recommendations for the patients with spinal cord trauma allows to:
– reduce the risk of the repeated health complications,
– recover or compensate the lost functions and return the maxim abilities for self-resilience activities,
– help a human to overcome psychological problems and mental barriers, and
– adapt a patient for the routine life after the accident.
Our specialists will provide advanced medical treatment, inspire patients with positive attitudes for quick rehabilitation and eliminate the fears of post-trauma living. To this end, we have all required equipment and qualified pros ready to help you on your demand.